We all have a list, and in that list entails the details that paint the perfect picture of Mr. Right. However, do we ever take the time to think if we’re ready to receive this kind of man in our lives?
After a string of tumultuous relationships, it took deep reflection and evaluation of myself and my choices before I realized that I was not behaving in the way that would attract the man of my dreams.
When I turned the mirror on myself, that’s when the real change began and I started making the changes that were necessary to be in a relationship that would compliment the new me and the man who I prayed for.
So, are you ready to make that change? Here are 5 things you should do to prepare yourself to receive the man of your dreams:
1) Re-evaluate the list: Let me begin by saying that your list should be realistic. It should entail the characteristics of a life partner that are conducive to a happy and healthy relationship. It needs to encompass the things you want and most importantly the things you need. Partners should compliment each other, so ensure that you too are able to live up to the expectations of the kind of man you are looking for.
2) Put God at the center of your search: Pray for him; daily and diligently. You have to believe and have faith that he is out there for you. When we pray for things, we tend to be repetitive in our prayer without the component of belief. With God at the center of your search, the man of your dreams is already being cultivated and is on his way. As a woman, its important for us to remember that what we pray for, may not necessarily appear in the way we envisioned. Pray for what you want and be ready to recognize that what you’ve prayed is right in front of your face. We tend to block our blessings because it doesn’t look the way we expect.
3) Think about what makes you the perfect mate: What are you bringing to the table? And how will this add to the life of the man you want to be in a relationship with? We often focus on what people are bringing to our lives, without acknowledging the mutual influence that takes place in a relationship. So with an honest mind, think about what you have to offer the man on your list. Are you understanding? caring? are you flexible? can you effectively express your feelings without anger? are a supportive woman? Review your list and think about what type of personality traits come with a man who you want and how will you be able to accommodate those traits.
4) Reflect on your journey: So how did you end up here? It can be difficult to think about how life has planted you in a situation that isn’t exactly what you pictured. It’s even more difficult to dissect your actions and your past experiences in a way that makes it clear how you ended up in this situation. But both are important to pay attention to. Reflect on your journey. What were your past relationships like? Were there similarities and differences in the relationships? In the kind of guys you were choosing to date? How did they end? What were you like in those relationships? How did they change you? When you are able to think critically about these kinds of questions, while being honest with yourself, you can begin to have a clear picture about the things you need moving forward and how you can place yourself in a position to receive those things!
5) Mentally, emotionally and physically prepare yourself: All aspects of you should be ready to enter into a new relationship. Nobody wants to date a bag lady. So before you leap into something new, you must release the baggage of the past. Your new love is NOT responsible for what you’ve been through, so don’t hold him accountable! You have to be prepared to trust, to love without fear, and to embrace the man that you are dating now, sans the baggage of an old love. Mentally, you have to be opened to new experiences. He may be completely different from your last, and this may scare you. Or he could have similar characteristics that could send you running for the door. But give him a fair chance. Emotionally, the scars may run deep, but holding onto them won’t allow this new relationship to blossom into something that could be healing. Physically, it could be exciting to not feel the love metaphorically, but to feel love through his affection, his gentle touches and new intimate experiences. If you aren’t ready for this, you could be setting yourself up for failure. However, you don’t want your fears to hold you back too long, so be ready enough to embrace the new things that comes with being with the man of your dreams!
(Photo credits: Getty Royalty-Free Images)